You can always find the Gang button in the game panel. When pressed, the Gang window opens, where you can hire friends free of charge or, for a price, NPCs (non-playing characters) that give you various bonuses for the duration of their time with you.
The measure and type of bonus depends on the type of professional you hire:
- Steeplejack - gives a boost to the experience received for searching rooms (available from level 5);
- Planner - gives a boost to experience received for interacting with opponents (available from level 10);
- Scout - increases chances of finding items when searching rooms (available from level 15);
- Informant - increases chances of finding items when interacting with opponents (available from level 20);
- Point Man - increases the amount of coins gained for searching rooms (available from level 25);
- Accountant - increases the amount of coins gotten from interacting with opponents (available from level 30);
- Driver - decreases the time needed for energy restoration (available from level 35);
- Medic - increases maximum energy (available from level 40):
- Coach - decreases the amount of energy spent on any action (available from level 45).
The mercenary's bonus consists of the hired friend's bonus and the cell bonus. The higher the level of the mercenary, the higher the bonus he gives. NPCs hired via cash give bigger bonuses. To increase the cell bonus, level it up by hiring NPCs or friends.
After you hire a mercenary, you get a 2 hour bonus. You can hire one friend every 12 hours while NPCs can be hired at any time.